Sustainable well-being for the land, ourselves, and our worldwide village.
To educate, inspire and transform by co-creating a thriving learning community and permaculture demonstration site.
(The Vision and Mission were approved July 2010)
“Permaculture is the conscious design and maintenance of agriculturally productive systems which have the diversity, stability, and resilience of natural ecosystems. It is the harmonious integration of the landscape with people providing their food, energy, shelter and other material and non-material needs in a sustainable way.” Graham Bell, The Permaculture Way.
One of our residents writes: “Truly it is auspicious to find this place and time together to create what we need most in our lives. To go the full mile together in this space (and beyond) requires a personal commitment to awareness.”
To support this commitment and to help us to realize our needs over the long term we have identified a number of guidelines that serve as points of reflection and reference from which to model our communication and actions.
– In all situations we intend to take responsibility for our own feelings. Ultimately, no one can make us feel. If we feel badly we take credit for that. If we feel good, we take credit for that too. Our words and actions may trigger and impact others, however, we take responsibility for using them in a way that doesn’t manipulate or hurt others.
– There are few absolutes in this world. Various ways exist to interpret and work with a situation. When we actively let go of our fixed beliefs about ourselves, others or the world, we are more open to the “truth” as communicated through our experience and the experience of others in the group. From this place anything is possible. We strive to remain open to negotiate, communicate and dance in all situations.
– Respect is a two-way street. When we act with respect, we strengthen each other. This means we are conscious about not charging into people’s mental or physical space without permission. Respect also means leaving the physical environment (land and dwellings) in the same or better condition than you found it, so all may enjoy.
– The more we give, the more we are open to receiving. It’s as simple as that.
-Just be real. If you are happy, be happy, if you are sad, be sad. Through honesty we develop a deep trust in ourselves, which we can use to help others be honest.
– Fun and humor keep things light and flexible so we can go beyond negativity. In fun environments we can relax, appreciate our lives together and learn from our experience. No matter what, we make time for fun in our lives.
O.U.R Covenant for the Earth – Statement of Sustainability
Ecology of Living
-Integrate labour, community contribution, personal maintenance and creative endeavors.
– Live in a supportive, cooperative setting with people of like intent. Work toward a common path and live a deep commitment to self, others and the earth.
– Enhance quality of life by consuming less and living simply. Encourage ourselves to receive daily nourishment from renewable, preferably organic, green plants.
– Know the social and environmental impact of our work. Work or volunteer in only those efforts that enhance the quality of all life.
– Practice nonviolent action in defense of the Earth. Know the facts and implications of an action and ‘stay the path’.
– Perform a daily practice that encourages attunement with those encompassing powers that nourish the Earth and intuitively guide all human endeavours.
– Know the basic universal laws of ecology and apply them to a specific bioregion and be able to extend such understanding to others.
– Study past and present cultures who live in harmony with the Earth. Know the psychological, sociological and cultural roots of one’s own tradition.
Education of the Citizenry
– Use every action, insight and interaction to share environmental understandings. Be a model world citizen. Spend time with children, elders and people of all ages.
– “Know thyself” with and through the universe. Search, find and accept a path of insight and action that will assure peace, love and truth for all life.