O.U.R. Co-op: Autumn Update
This has been a rich, rewarding and challenging time for O.U.R. Ecovillage.
In May of this year, the purchase agreement between O.U.R. Coop and Brandy expired. We have continued to explore all avenues in the (as yet..!) unsuccessful work of pulling together financing that would allow us to make a new agreement. With the completion of the final draft of a comprehensive business plan and increasing interest from members, investors and financial institutions, we have never been closer to completing this transition.
However, close is not enough.
The purpose of O.U.R. Coop is to own and manage the land of O.U.R. Ecovillage. In order to ensure the Ecovillage survives till the Coop is in a position to purchase the land, we are taking a two-phase strategy:
- In order for O.U.R. Ecovillage to continue into the next year, it needs an investment of $400,000 by February 2012. The investor, or investors, could become co-owners of the land as tenants in common. Unless we can achieve this short-term goal, we cannot know for sure what will happen with the ownership.
- Meeting this immediate goal will permit O.U.R. Coop to be in a position for the next phase, which will be to take on full ownership, including the mortgage, affordable housing development and social enterprises onsite.
How can you help?
- If you are not yet a member, consider this simple way to bring us all closer to the reality of a community that combines work, living with the land, growing food, and community service through education under an autonomous and egalitarian ownership model.
- Make a tax deductible donation through the Land Conservancy of BC to Protect O.U.R. Ecovillage forever.
- Contact us to discuss investment as a co-owner.
I would like extend my gratitude to Brandy Gallagher (current owner/land steward) and the Board members of O.U.R. Ecovillage Cooperative for the tenacity and generosity of spirit that has allowed us to get this far in our work to ensure this land is protected and continues to be a destination where thousands of people can find inspiration, education and hope in the creation of a sustainable paradigm for our society. And: “Thank you” to all the members of O.U.R. Cooperative for your ongoing support and belief in this dream becoming reality.
Warmly, Patrick Jackson
President, O.U.R. Ecovillage Cooperative.
Stay tuned for the blog post introducing our RRSP program – coming soon! Through a program of the Canadian Worker Coop Federation, O.U.R. Coop can offer the option to invest in O.U.R. Ecovillage by purchasing shares with RRSP funds, or placing existing shares in their RRSP.