Systems Thinking with Indigenous Lens – Workshop Offering
November 23rd, 2019 from 1:30pm to 5:30pm
We live in an increasingly complex world which requires solutions that tackle root causes of issues, not just their symptoms. Systems thinking is a tool for sense-making and working with complexity in various contexts that echoes the way of knowing familiar to many Indigenous cultures around the world.
This workshop merges Western and Indigenous ways of seeing and sense-making while exploring theories and concepts that are applicable across a wide array of areas. It will benefit anyone curious or working in the domain of social change and innovation, as well as community development, social planning, sustainability, food security, evaluation, advocacy, movement-building, education, public service and in many others.
- Understand the basic principles of systems thinking
- Start practicing thinking in systems
- Increase knowledge about Indigenous history in Canada, and how colonization disrupted traditional systems
- Explore the notion of transformational change as an intervention, and ways of approaching it in the context of complexity and emergence
Reflections from past participants:
- “Appreciate the reconciliation lens on the systems thinking”.
- “Great session! I appreciated how Indigenous history and cultural knowledge was incorporated. This is extremely important.”
- “I really enjoyed this workshop. It was a good introduction and recap on how systems work. I was particularly touched by the interconnectedness exercise. I feel that it allowed me to gain a certain perspective that I just didn’t have before. Thank you.”
- “I thought the facilitators were both artfully clear about what can be a complex topic.”
Booking information: please click on the button above “Register Now”. While booking you will have an option to join us at 10am for a guided tour of OUR ECOVILLAGE before this event. You may also choose to join us for Lunch before the event or dinner after the event at OUR Zero Mile Eatery. Please let us know if you have any questions or problems with booking at firstname.lastname@example.org
What makes OUR Ecovillage so special?
OUR courses are unique from almost all others as you are stepping into OUR ECOVILLAGE – a 25 acre “Sustainable Living Demonstration Site and Education Centre” and one of the most built out permaculture projects in North America.
For over 20 years Our Ecovillage has been working towards “Lawful Permaculture”; having every innovative design and building project that we have created also be fully zoned, permitted & approved by regulatory officials.
Through partnering with all 3 levels of government, business & corporate sponsors, academia, and the grassroots of the wider community and it’s organizations; at OUR we bring together a range of professionals, permaculture teachers, regulatory folks, and technical stakeholders ready to train others in the next stages of how permaculture projects can become fully legal – like OURS!