OUR Educational CSA + Healthy Lifestyle Box
Learn about “Food, Farming, and Medicine Making” during the 2022 edition of OUR Ecovillage’s CSA.
- Do you wish you knew more about where your food came from?
- Maybe you wonder what’s actually in season and what’s not when you peruse the produce section of your local store?
- Are you curious about which foods can help you boost your immune system and help you feel your very best?
- Would you like to share immersive learning about healthy and yummy food with a young person in your life? (Particularly great for teachers who can share OUR learning with their students.)
Look no further than OUR Ecovillage’s Educational CSA + Healthy Lifestyle Box, beginning in June 2022.
As we continue to move through these unprecedented times, OUR Ecovillage is pivoting from our typical education offerings and bringing our farm, food, and education right to your front door. (Or you can pick it up at OUR new ‘slow food drive-thru’!) We so miss the 10,000 learners (many of whom are students from the local community) that join us on the lands of OUR ECOVILLAGE each year, but are very excited to be outreaching in an innovative and very fun way with a select number of individuals/families this summer. OUR Educational CSA is a fantastic way to strengthen the community by directly connecting locals to farmers, which reduces food waste and focuses on quality and sustainability over profit.
We aim to value the contents of the boxes to be, at minimum, 25% more than what you are paying. Boxes are ready for pickup onsite Thursday afternoon, and we are also offering delivery to Victoria (and potentially Duncan–let us know if that would interest you).
What does this mean for you?
Expect the same abundance of fresh, in-season produce, eggs, meat and meat-alternatives, baking, and other goodies we’ve offered in past CSA seasons (full details on each box option are below).
PLUS: a deep commitment to education and community. Think of the CSA as a lesson in food security, STEAM projects, and home economics–a classroom in a box! Here’s what you can expect:
- Regular activity guides designed in partnership with educators and health specialists to connect you with your wellness and bring food and farming to life for you and your family/friends. (Don’t have children? All ages will enjoy OUR activities, but we also welcome you to share with neighbours, students, or other community connections.)
- A weekly herb plant or medicinal product designed to connect you to some of the many medicinal properties offered by the foods we eat. OUR team will share learning about which foods can help boost your immune system, build strong muscles and bones, keep eyes, lungs, and other systems in tip top shape, and generally support us through our busy lives. As above, this learning will be appropriate for all-ages.
- Community connections with other farmers and artisanal food producers. We’re partnering with many of our favorite community producers to share samples of their products with you.
- Regular episodes of OUR brand new Farmers, Foodies and Medicine Makers show, which will introduce viewers to the producers mentioned above in more detail and with an eye to sharing not only their products, but the stories and spaces behind them.
- Immersive Pick Up times: While delivery to designated South and Mid-Island locations is available (see below), we’ll be making use of our large outdoor space to create safe Social Connection Zones (based on current PHO guidelines). Ask questions about any ingredients you aren’t familiar with, check out samples of our educational projects, and enjoy a deeper grounding with the farm that feeds you.
- Optional project days included for free in your box program! Bring your family for a safe-connection, hands-on learning experience where you’ll be able to jump in on activities which will include things like meeting our baby animals, going on a photo scavenger hunt in the gardens, enjoying pizza from our cob oven, and more. We’ll run a few of these over the season and give ample warning as to the dates. Prefer something just for you? Specially-arranged activities are available if you wish to come for a sit down meal with prior arrangement (and additional fee).
- Access to our Mighty Network Group just for OUR CSA members. Think of this as a curated, ad-free social media experience that offers the best of an online community with none of the junk. All the recipes, teachings, box content lists, and more will be stored in this community, but it’s also a great chance for you to talk to other members about what they’re cooking, how their educational projects are going, and more. Plus, stay tuned for occasional live chats with local producers and a chance to ask questions and connect with OUR farm team.
- Discounts on online courses from the Living Village Design Institute hosted by OUR Ecovillage. Expect to see courses like the Permaculture Design Certificate, Resilient Community Design, Nature-based Learning, Emergency Preparedness, etc.
- Group drop off spots. This is a great option for schools, offices, or other workplaces which have four or more members of the CSA. You’ll get free delivery to your workplace each week and built-in friends to do some veggie trading and recipe experimentation with.
(Please note: OUR team would like to communicate that we are implementing all WCB COVID-19 response protocols to Stop the Spread and ensure the health and safety of all residents, staff and the community that we serve. As per new requirements put forth by the Provincial Health Officer of BC, we ask that you wear your mask while attending to any activity or stepping outside of your vehicle while onsite.)