Awakening the Dragon – The Art of Community
This 8-month project will generate an online and on-land process for local businesses, organizations & community stakeholders who are finding an urgent need to pivot some or all of their activities to an online platform due to the new COVID-19 reality. Individuals and organizations will be coached in the planning and implementation of public events, community-based project management, media and communication skills (including digital story capture and livestream filming), outreach, and public engagement.
This project will also facilitate an online and on-land community art installation.
The online component will be the production of a video series that will capture the story of the community as well as the process of building an on-land art installation project titled “Awakening the Dragon – The Art of Community”.
This position is funded by The Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction and the Province of BC through a Job Creation Partnership project held by OUR Community Association.
-are currently unemployed
–have established a claim for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits, or
-have had an EI benefit period that ended within the previous 60 months; or
-have earned more than $2,000 in insurable earnings and paid employee EI premiums on those earnings in at least 5 of the last 10 years (Note: the 5 years do not have to be consecutive years).
If you are eligible and interested in applying for this position, please contact your local WorkBC Centre and mention project name (Awakening the Dragon – The Art of Community) in your application. Note that you must reside in one of the following catchment areas.
201-1483 Douglas St
202 – 3179 Jacklin Road
301 – 80 Station St., Duncan
Or apply for services online: https://apply.workbc.ca/Orientation/Map and mention project name (Awakening the Dragon – The Art of Community) in your application.
This role has been crafted to work with food systems and OUR ECOVILLAGE’s ‘Village to Village’ programming with food/farming/design/education as it relates to the Global South in the United Nations ‘Sustainable Development Goals’. As a lead within food systems at OUR farm a major emphasis will be on working with Brazilian educational travel programs and the learners who will be travelling from the Global South.
- A strong interest in environmental, edible and organic landscape design and maintenance.
- Agrologist experience, education, or degree.
- A ‘Permaculture Design Certificate’.
- A positive attitude & strong work ethic.
- Experience with orcharding maintenance and use of all variety of garden tools and equipment
- Academic level of working knowledge of edible garden plants (fruiting vines, fruit trees, vegetables)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team including living cooperatively in a farm setting.
- Full fluency speaking Portuguese.
- Compensation depending on experience.
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to and from job sites • Preference will be given to applicants that are passionate about sustainable food production and applying deep organic principles to garden maintenance Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Position is available immediately. Compensation will be dependent on experience. To apply please send a resume, 3 references and a brief letter stating why you want to work at OUR ECOVILLAGE’s Farm to: email@example.com
O.U.R. (One United Resource) ECOVILLAGE is a sustainable learning centre and demonstration site which focuses on ecological ways of living. We are dedicated to researching and modeling ways that are rooted in social, cultural, spiritual, economic and ecological well-being. As well, we actively create partnerships with groups and organizations that are interested in living in community and living lightly on the earth.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within a multi-organizational model based in Shawnigan Lake. An informal and dynamic work environment can offer lots of value on a personal and professional level depending on the interests and learning connections you are looking for. Inspiration towards environmental, community-based, service project related work will make this the best fit for the right individual.
This is a part-time position of approximately 15 hours per week at our office with an opportunity to co-create a schedule. There is potential for this position to grow, based on interest and experience, to include other administrative responsibilities.
The Bookkeeper is responsible for the preparation and maintenance of financial records and reports. They provide administrative support to the General Manager and Board of Directors through bookkeeping, banking and reporting services. The Bookkeeper maintains all necessary and appropriate records, files and processes to ensure the smooth and compliant financial operations of three, related non-profit organizations, focusing on accuracy and transparency.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare accounts payable files and process cheques for signing and distribution
- Record all revenues including accommodations rentals, membership fees, donations, grants, educational programs, and social functions
- Process payroll (seasonal)
- Reconcile all accounts and prepare financial statements, including balance sheet, revenue, expenditure and performance to the budget, variance and cash flow
- Monitor Cash and cash management
- Prepare monthly Financial Statements, GST Returns, year-end reports, and audit documentation
- Other related duties that may be required from time to time to manage financial affairs
- Strong computer skills in Quick Books and Google Suite
- Understanding and application of accounting standards and principles.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Logical, analytical, detail-oriented, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discretion.
Non-profit experience is an asset.
Please email us at:
admin [at] ourecovillage.org
with a resume and cover letter.